Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 4 Days
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 4 Days 3 Nights, is one of the most famous treks in Cusco and it is undoubtedly the best alternative route to experience the original Inca paths. This trek takes you through many different types of landscapes. You will have the best opportunity to see the typical Andean landscape up to the snowcapped mountains, down to the tropical forests and finally even venture into the dense jungle. If you are thinking to do a hiking trip to Machu Picchu and you want to be off the beaten path, close to the Andean communities and appreciate the beautiful and diverse nature of Peru, the Salkantay Trek is highly recommended.
- Tour the city of Lima and learn about its rich history
- Discover the secrets of Cusco on a guided city tour
- Visit the incredible Sacsayhuaman Archaeological Park
- Make the journey to the sacred citadel of Machu Picchu via or Expedition and Vistadome train
Day 1: Arival to Lima – Transfer to the Hotel.
Arrival in Lima, meet and greet at the airport, transfer to your hotel. In the afternoon we will have a tour through Lima’s streets and plazas. Starting at the Love Park in Miraflores, with a spectacular view of the Pacific Ocean, and then heading to the Huaca Pucllana, ceremonial center of the Lima culture. Later we will go to San Isidro, financial center of the city. After this, we go on to the Main Square where the Government Palace and the Town Hall are located. We will visit the Cathedral and explore the San Francisco convent, built in the seventeenth century, to discover the mystery of its catacombs. Stay in Lima.
- Overnight at Lima Hotel
- Meals Included: None
Day 2: Transfer to Cusco – City Tour
After breakfast at the hotel, you’ll head to the airport to catch your flight to Cusco. Upon arrival, you will be transported to your hotel where you will have the morning to relax and freshen up.
You will be picked up from the hotel at 1:30 pm to tour the Koricancha (Temple of the Sun), a very important Inca shrine. Later, you’ll visit the impressive Cathedral in the main square. Our tour continues in Sacsayhuaman on a hill that looms over the city. Then, you’ll visit the old temple of the Puma in Qenqo, a singular limestone outcrop used for religious purposes. You’ll also visit Puca Pucara and the sacred fountains of life and health in Tambomachay. Finally, the tour ends with a tour of the city of Cusco.
- Overnight at Cusco Hotel
- Meals Included: Breakfast
Day 3: Sacred Valley to Aguas Calientes (Machupicchu town).
The Sacred Valley of the Incas, just outside of Cusco, is a gorgeous sprawling span of green farms, lofty terraced mountains along with numerous quaint towns unmoved by time. The Sacred Valley is the center of lively festivals and the best handicrafts in Peru. Our first stop is the artisanal capital of Peru, the small village of Pisac; it’s famous for its craft market in the main plaza, busiest on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, where local natives come to sell their colorful woven cloth, alpaca wool ponchos and fashions, reproductions of ancient jewelry, engraved gourds and much, much more. Pisac is the best stop in Peru for mementos of your trip to bring home to family and friends. After a delicious lunch in Pisac, we’ll travel Ollantaytambo, the only Inca town that remains inhabited. This traditional town is a wonderful example of pre-Colombian architecture. Here we will explore the expansive ruins overlooking the town and discuss their history and traditional beliefs of the people of the Sacred Valley. Later in the afternoon in Ollantaytambo we’ll catch the train to Aguas Calientes to get ready to explore Machu Picchu early the next morning.
- Overnight in Aguas Calientes
- Meals included: Breakfast and Buffet lunch.
Day 4: Machu Picchu Full Day.
On the fourth day, our tour guide will be waiting for us in your hotel lobby and will take you to the bus station where you can take the bus to the sanctuary of Machu Picchu which is also referred to as “The lost citadel of the Incas”. The bus journey will be about only 30 minutes, and when you arrive in Machu Picchu, our tour guide will begin to explain about the different places you are visiting at Machu Picchu. You will also have the option of climbing Waynapicchu, as well as some free time to take pictures.
In the afternoon, you’ll return to Aguas Calientes where you’ll have free time to go eat lunch. After lunch, our tour guide will take you to the train station so you can take the train back to ollantaytambo or Poroy. Our transfer will be there waiting for you to take you to your hotel in Cusco.
- Overnight in Cusco
- Meals included: Breakfast and lunch.
Day 5: Cusco – Free Day
Today is a free day in the Incan Imperial Capital. We’ll do our best to discover Cusco’s enchanting network of narrow streets and white wash mud-brick walls, all built atop Incan stone foundations. A true amalgamation of cultures! Explore the many markets, churches, museums, plazas and first-rate restaurants, all at your fingertips while exploring the city center on foot.
Also recommended is stop by the Incan Archaeological Museum located a block from the Plaza de Armas. Then, time permitting, visit the recently opened ‘Casa Concha’, which houses hundreds of pieces removed from Machu Picchu by Hiram Bingham in 1912 and recently returned in 2011 (Centennial Anniversary of Machu Picchu’s scientific discovery) to Peru by Yale University in the United States.
Also worth a visit is the colorful local market at San Pedro and the bohemian neighborhood of San Blas, full of artists, craftsmen and street vendors, both only minutes from the hotel.
- Overnight in Cusco
- Meals included: Breakfast.
Day 6: Cusco / Puno
Departure on a tour bus to Puno. On the way we’ll stop to visit the attractions this beautiful route has to offer. The first stop: Andahuaylillas for a visit to its beautiful chapel, then its Racchi, Temple of the Wiracocha god where the walls and narrow streets stand out. Then it’s lunch time and the opportunity to see the view at La Raya, natural border between Cusco and Puno. Before our final destination we will visit the in site Pucara Museum and a chance to get one of the local classic bull shaped ceramics. We will arrive in Puno at the end of the afternoon.
- Overnight in Puno
- Meals included: Breakfast and a three course lunch.
Alternative travel options:
1. Peru Rail Titicaca Train or Belmont Andean Explorer Train to Puno.
Travel in style on the Andean Explorer from Cusco to the shores of Titicaca Lake where Puno is located. Morning transfer to the local train station of Cusco where the Andean Explorer is waiting for your spectacular rail journey to Puno. The glass-walled observation coaches provide the perfect opportunity to view the beautiful scenery. The journey is broken by a scenic stop at La Raya, which is also the highest point on the route. First class lunch is served aboard the train in style. A music and fashion show and a bar-tending lesson will also be part of your experience aboard. On arrival in Puno we take you to your hotel.
Upgrade Peru Rail Titicaca Train to Puno is available at an additional cost and on these days:
- November to March = Sun, Wed, Fri.
- April to October = Sun, Wed, Fri, Sat.
Upgrade to Belmont Andean Explorer Train to Puno is available at an additional cost and on these days:
- January to March = Tue
Day 7: Titicaca Lake – Uros – Taquile Islands
You will be collected from your hotel early in the morning for a transfer to the port. Here you will meet the rest of your group and your English speaking guide for the day. After about 30 minutes by boat you will arrive at the floating Uros Islands, built from reeds by the Uros people who still live on the islands in traditional reed houses. After a short visit you will continue by boat to Taquile Island. You will need to walk uphill to the main square in the centre of the island, where you will be rewarded with fantastic views of the Island, and have a traditional lunch of fresh trout. In the afternoon you will have time to explore and appreciate the island and its people, before returning to Puno by boat, arriving at around 5pm. Spend the night at our standard hotel in Puno.
- Overnight in Puno
- Meals included: breakfast, lunch
Day 8: Juliaca Airport – Lima – Connection to International Flight.
After breakfast, at the scheduled time we will transfer you to the airport to take the flight back to Lima, where you will take your flight back to your country.
- Meals included: breakfast.
- Transfers from the airport-hotel-airport Cusco
- Transfers terminal-hotel-terminal
- Transfer Hotel / Bus Station / Hotel
- Full day tour of Uros – Taquile
- Tour of the Sun Road
- Bus tickets from Puno – Cusco
- Private transportation for the City Tour
- Private transportation for the Sacred Valley
- Entry tickets to the different sites
- Buffet lunch at a traditional restaurant in the Sacred Valley
- Train tickets (Expedition) Poroy or Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes
- Entry tickets for Machu Picchu
- Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes- Machu Picchu-Aguas Calientes
- 01 night in Aguas Calientes with breakfast
- 04 nights in Cusco with breakfast
- 02 nights in Puno
- Tour guide for the City Tour
- Tour guide for the Sacred Valley
- Tour guide at Machu Picchu
- International airfares
- Domestic flights
- Airport departure (US$ 30 per person for international flights and US$ 6.5 for
- national flights) taxes or visa fees
- Excess baggage charges
- Additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations
- Alcoholic beverages or bottled water
- Phone calls
- Radio calls or messages
- Reconfirmation of flights and items of personal nature
- Personal equipment
- Obligatory personal insurance and meals which are not mentioned
Cusco Tours and Titicaca 8 Days / 7 Nights Packing List:
After spending a lot of time travelling around Cusco Tours and Titicaca Lake 8 Days / 7 Nights, we have come up with our definitive list of what to pack for a trip to Cusco Tours and Titicaca Lake.
- Worn in hiking boots or walking shoes
- Light weight rain poncho
- Down or thermal jacket and fleece
- Sun protection; sunscreen and providing hat
- Layerable clothing: t- shirts, heavy shirts and jackets, thermals, hiking pants, shorts
- Toiletries pack with toilet paper, tissues and a lightweight towell
- Day pack
- Reusable water bottle to help reduce plastic waste
- Personal first aid kit with prescriptions, pain relievers, antihistamine & stomach aids
- Spare prescription glasses, contacts & lens solution plus a copy of prescription
- Small flashlight or headlamp with extra batteries
- Ear plugs for sleeping comfort
- Warm hat, scarf & gloves (these are abundant in Cusco if you’d prefer to purchase here
- Extra zip lock bags of various sizes always come in handy
- Insect repellent
- Camera with extra batteries and SD cards
- Combination locks to protect luggage, useful while traveling & in hotel rooms
Required & Useful Documents for Peru
- Valid passport with at least six months remaining
- Photocopies of important documents like passport, tickets and prescriptions
- Travel insurance, we recommend World Nomads or Travel Guard
- Blood donor/type card
Plans & Rates
$ 1,050 person
$ 1,199.00 person
$ 1,359 person
$ 1,597.00 person
This unique package can leave on any date, as long as we have a minimum of 2 participants.
- Student Discount: US$20.00 Check this link: ( http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/items/estudiantes.html )
- Under 15 years will pay as student: US$20.00
- Under 7 years Discount: US$35.00
Optional Extras (Need to Book in Advance):
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 25.00 (Need to book in advance)
1.- Contract between the Client and Cusco Journeys & Adventures
- To secure a booking with Cusco Journeys & Adventures, the Client must deposit 30% of the entire price of the trip (minimum US$200). All flights (domestic and international) and UpGrades must be paid 100% in advance to secure spaces. The deposit is non-refundable. Clients booking by telephone, fax or email will be deemed to have read the booking conditions.
- A booking is accepted and becomes definite from the date Cusco Journeys & Adventures has received the deposit from the Client. It is at this point that a binding contract between Cusco Journeys & Adventures, LLC, and the Client comes into existence.
- The contract is made between Cusco Journeys & Adventures, LLC, and the Client, which includes all persons named on the booking form. The person signing the booking form warrants that he/she has full authority on behalf of all the persons whose names appear thereon and confirms that all such persons are fully aware of and accept these conditions.
- The balance of the amount due must be paid to Cusco Journeys & Adventures no later than 30 days before departure. In case of non-payment of the balance by the due date, Cusco Journeys & Adventures will treat the booking as cancelled by the Client.
- In the case of bookings made within 30 days of the departure date, the full amount of package price will be paid upon booking.
- Payment can either be made by wire transfer, direct deposit, or check. In case of a bank transfer, all wiring and transfer costs should be assumed by the Client.
- All prices are United States of America Dollar based.
- Our prices do not include Peruvian sales taxes. Those exempt from paying this tax must meet the legal standards. For an exemption from the IGV (General Sales Tax) the visitor (guest) must prove he or she meets the international treaty standards honored in Peru by showing a passport, driver’s license or national identity card. Please note that visitors who have stayed in Peru longer than 90 calendar days are no longer exempt from IGV (General Sales Tax). Please make sure that your identity documents are legible and note that the TAM (Andina Migration Card) cannot substitute a passport.
3.- Changes by the Client
Any changes to the original booking must be confirmed by the person signing the booking form. For any change by the Client to the itinerary after receiving a confirmed Travel Program from Cusco Journeys & Adventures, a US$50 changing fee will be charged plus any costs or charges which are incurred or levied by our suppliers as a result of the amendment. While every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate changes and additional requests, their availability cannot be guaranteed.
Services can be transferred from one client to another as long as there is availability and the providers’ conditions allow it.
4.- Substitution of Client
If any member of your party is prevented from traveling, it may be possible to transfer the booking to another suitable person, provided that written notice is given at least 30 days prior to departure. An administration fee of US$50 will be levied plus any costs imposed by Cusco Journeys & Adventures suppliers. In the case of certain tickets such as those for Machupicchu Site, Huayna Picchu mountain or for the Inca Trail, these must be purchased again as they cannot be transferred, then we need see the availability.
5.- Cancellation by the Client
The Client may cancel the booking at any time provided that the cancellation is communicated to Cusco Journeys & Adventures in writing. Deposit paid to reserve trip is non-refundable. Payments for flights, cruises, Machupicchu site, Inca Trail Trek and Train Tickets bookings are non-refundable due to airline, Peruvian goverment and operator policies. All other reservations cancelled less than 45 days prior to the departure date of the tour are subject to the following cancellation fees:
Period Before Departure When Notification Is Received
Cancellation Fee As A Percentage Of The Refundable Services Price
|8 Days or Less||100%|
In case part of a booking is cancelled, the remaining party may have to pay additional charges (e.g. under-occupancy, or single room supplements). In case of trip postponement, an administration fee of 15% of the trip price will be charged plus the amount already spent on non-refundable subcontracted services. The remaining amount may be used toward future travel with Cusco Journeys & Adventures.
6.- Changes and Cancellation by Cusco Journeys & Adventures
While Cusco Journeys & Adventures will use its best endeavors to operate all tours as advertised, by entering into this contract the Client accepts that it may prove necessary or advisable to vary or modify a tour itinerary or its contents due to prevailing local conditions. Cusco Journeys & Adventures reserves the right to cancel or change any of the facilities, services or prices (including flights, accommodation or other arrangements) at any time and to substitute alternative arrangements of comparable monetary value without compensation and accepts no liability for loss of enjoyment as a result of these changes.
If a major change is known to us at the time of the booking, the Client will be informed immediately. A major changed is defined as a change affecting at least one in three full tour days of the itinerary, or which materially affects the character of the Product in its entirety. If a major change becomes necessary after booking, Cusco Journeys & Adventures will inform the Clients as soon as reasonably possible.
When a major change is made, the Client will have the choice to accept the change of arrangements, to purchase any other available tour or to cancel the tour and obtain a full refund. This is providing that the major change is not because of force majeure.
Force majeure is war, threat of war, riots, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activities, natural or nuclear disaster, fire or adverse weather conditions, technical or maintenance problems with transport, changes imposed by cancellation or rescheduling of flights by an airline, the alteration of airline or aircraft type, or other similar events beyond the control of Cusco Journeys & Adventures.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures is not liable for any charges in the event of a change – beyond their control – to the departure time or date of a tour, flight or other form of transport.
Should any price increase, Cusco Journeys & Adventures will absorb the price increase if the price increase is less than 5% of the total package price. If the increase is more than 5%, the client will be surcharged the difference.
8.- Passport, Visa and Vaccinations
It is the responsibility of the Client to be in possession of a valid passport, visa permits, inoculations and preventative medicines as may be required by the authorities of the visited countries for the duration of the tour. Information about these matters or related items is given in good faith but without responsibility on the part of Cusco Journeys & Adventures.
9.- Age, Fitness and Participation
All Clients are expected to assess that their physical fitness aligns with the requirements of the itinerary of their choosing prior to booking. Travelers with pre-existing medical conditions are advised to check with a healthcare professional before traveling on the chosen itinerary. No unaccompanied minors (those under 18 years of age) can be accepted on tours operated by Cusco Journeys & Adventures, however older teenagers may be considered provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who accepts full responsibility for the minor. Cusco Journeys & Adventures reserves the absolute right to decline a booking at their discretion. Clients agree to accept the authority and decisions of the employees of Cusco Journeys & Adventures, tour leaders and agents, while on the tour with Cusco Journeys & Adventures. If, in the opinion of such persons, the health or conduct of a Client before or after departure appears likely to endanger the safe, comfortable or happy progress of a tour, the Client may be excluded from all or part of the tour. In case of ill health Cusco Journeys & Adventures may make such arrangements as it sees fit and recover the costs thereof from the Client.
10.- Local laws
All participants in tours operated by Cusco Journeys & Adventures are expected to obey the laws and regulations of the countries visited and any failure to do so will relieve Cusco Journeys & Adventures of all obligations that they may otherwise have under these booking conditions.
11.- Illness or disability
Anyone suffering from illness or disability or undergoing treatment for any physical or medical condition must declare the true nature of such condition at the time of booking and arrange for the provision of any medication or other treatment which may be required during the tour. Failure to make such disclosure will constitute a breach of these booking conditions and result in such persons being excluded from the tour in which case all monies paid will be forfeit.
If the chosen holiday includes a cruise or excursion or transfer by boat of any sort, the Client must make it known at the time of booking if he/she is unable to swim. This will not prevent the Client from participating in the tour but will enable Cusco Journeys & Adventures to take additional precautions for the safety of the Client at such times as may be appropriate.
12.- Client has a Complaint
If the Client has a complaint about any of the tour arrangements, he/she must bring it to the attention of the tour leader or other representative of Cusco Journeys & Adventures at the appropriate time so that they may use their best endeavors to rectify the situation. It is only if Cusco Journeys & Adventures is made aware of any problems that there will be the opportunity to put things right. Making your complaint known to Cusco Journeys & Adventures as a problem arises during your trip will allow us to remedy the situation or facilitate compensation. Should the problem remain unsolved, a complaint must be made in writing to Cusco Journeys & Adventures within 28 days of the completion of the holiday.
13.- Flight Bookings
Cusco Journeys & Adventures will use its best endeavors to ensure that all flight prices are correct at the time that they are quoted. Airlines reserve the right to amend or withdraw fares without prior notice. Once a deposit is paid on an airfare, it guarantees that a booking is being held for you, but it DOES NOT GUARANTEE the fare. The fare can only be guaranteed when the flight booking has been paid in full and a ticket has been issued. Flight bookings cannot be transferred.
The flight times given by Cusco Journeys & Adventures are for general guidance only and are subject to change. Up-to-date flight times will be shown on the tickets. The Client must check the tickets very carefully immediately upon reception of the latest timings. Cusco Journeys & Adventures will endeavor to inform the Client as soon as possible in the event of any flight alteration. Details of airlines are also subject to change. Such alterations do not constitute a significant change to the trip arrangements and will therefore not be entitled to cancel without paying the normal charges as a result.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures cannot be held responsible for any delay to your flight whether this delay is caused by adverse weather conditions, the action of air traffic controllers, airport authorities or (local) governments, the rescheduling of flight times by the airline, mechanical breakdown, strike, industrial action or any other reason.
14.- Our responsibility
Cusco Journeys & Adventures cannot guarantee the accuracy of any hotel, resort or other leaflet which is not published by them but may be supplied as an additional service to the Client.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures accepts responsibility for ensuring that the vacation which the Client books with them is supplied as described in the final version of the travel program the Client will receive upon arrival and for ensuring that the services reach a reasonable standard.
Cusco Journeys & Adventures acts only in the capacity of an agent upon the legal conditions that, while exercising every possible precaution, it is not responsible for injury, illness, damage, loss, additional expenses, accidental delay, or other irregularities which may be caused either through willful or negligent acts or omissions made by the companies or individuals providing or engaged in transportation, accommodation or other services related to the accomplishment of the tour, or through natural disasters, social upheavals or other causes.